How Sterile Compounding Services Work
At Bayview Pharmacy, we take great pride in being the leading pharmacy for sterile compounding in Rhode Island. Our talented team of pharmacists collaborates with patients and physicians to develop specialized solutions for people with unique medication needs. We are experts at creating custom-made medications that patients can take through injection or other non-oral forms, as well as those requiring individual dosing.
Our advanced sterile compounding facilities are meticulously designed to guarantee that each medication is personalized for the patient's unique needs and mixed in a hygienic, regulated atmosphere.
Common Sterile Compounded Preparations
- IV solutions for patients who cannot take oral medications or require high doses
- Ophthalmic solutions and suspensions for eye conditions such as glaucoma and dry eye
- Injectable medicines for pain management, such as ketamine and lidocaine
- Erectile dysfunction injections such as Alprostadil, Bi-Mix, Tri-Mix, and Quad-Mix
- Sterile compounding of chemotherapy drugs for cancer patients
- And More...
Sterile compounding pharmacies, like Bayview Pharmacy, undergo extensive testing to ensure the safety and efficacy of their prepared medications. These tests include:
- Environmental monitoring: The pharmacy's cleanrooms and compounding areas are regularly tested for microorganisms that could contaminate the prepared medications.
- Endotoxin testing: Medications intended for injection are tested for bacterial toxins, which can cause severe adverse reactions in patients.
- Sterility testing: Medications are tested for viable microorganisms to ensure they are free from contamination.
- Potency testing: Medications are tested to ensure that they contain the correct amount of active ingredients.
- Quality control: The pharmacy's procedures and protocols are regularly evaluated to ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- USP <797> and USP <800> testing: Medications are tested to ensure they meet the standards set by the United States Pharmacopeia for sterile compounding.
- Stability testing: Medications are tested to ensure they remain effective and stable over time.
At Bayview Pharmacy, we take extra precautions to ensure the quality and safety of our compounded medications. Our laboratory staff is trained and experienced in conducting tests under the strict guidance of a licensed pharmacist. This meticulous oversight helps us guarantee that all the medicines produced here meet exceptional standards - giving you peace of mind when administering them to your patients!
How Sterile Compounding Pharmacists Compound Sterile Medications
How It's Done
Specialized pharmacists on staff at Bayview Pharmacy are trained to craft individualized, sterilized medications following a medical professional's instructions. This compounding procedure necessitates gauging, calculating, and blending active pharmaceutical components (API) for manufacturing drugs customized to the patient's distinctive needs.
The compounding process is conducted in a sterile and cutting-edge lab to ensure that the completed medication is free from contamination. Afterward, this medication can be administered to the patient through an injection, IV solutions, ophthalmic remedy, or nasal spray—to name a few.
Thanks to sterile compounding, our specialized pharmacists can create custom medications that accommodate the distinct requirements of patients who have difficulty ingesting traditional oral forms, individual dosing instructions, and allergies to certain ingredients found in commercially available drugs. These personalized formulas are tailored specifically for each patient so they get what they need most.
Examples of Formulations That Our Licensed Pharmacists Can Prepare
- Different strengths or dosages of medications
- Sterile antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs
- Sterile nutritional and vitamin solutions
- Injectable pain management solutions
- Hormone replacement therapy in sterile form
- And many more, per the physician's prescription and the patient's needs
Common Types of Sterile Compounded Medication Forms
At Bayview Pharmacy, our compounding pharmacists and technicians can prepare a wide variety of sterile medications to meet the specific needs of our patients. These include:
IV solutions are often used for patients who cannot take oral medications or require high doses.
Ophthalmic Solutions and Suspensions
These sterile medications treat eye conditions such as glaucoma, dry eye, and more.
Injectable medications are often used for pain management such as ketamine and lidocaine, and other conditions. We also specialize in sterile erectile dysfunction treatments such as Alprostadil, Bi-Mix, Tri-Mix, and Quad-Mix.
Nasal Sprays and Inhalations
These sterile medications treat respiratory conditions such as asthma and sinusitis.
Cancer patients must receive chemotherapy drugs that are appropriately sterilized and compounded. That's why at our facility, we take extra steps to guarantee the safety of our medications by having a walk-in sterile laboratory where experienced compounding pharmacists and technicians work diligently with state-of-the-art equipment. We ensure that each medication we prepare meets the highest quality standards for your well-being.
Access to Sterile Compounded Services in Your Backyard
At Bayview Pharmacy, we work closely with patients, doctors, and veterinarians to provide customized, sterile compounding services at an affordable price. We offer discounted shipping with our Auto-Refill program, making it more accessible for our patients.
Benefits of Sterile Compounding
There are many benefits to using customized sterile compounding services, such as:
- Increased treatment options
- Reduced side effects
- Alternate dosage forms
- Availability of medications that are no longer commercially available
Strict Guidelines and Compliance
At Bayview Pharmacy, we understand pharmacists and technicians must handle sterile compounding with great care and diligence to guarantee its safety and efficacy. Therefore, we adhere to state boards of pharmacy regulations and the guidelines established by the FDA. Our licensed pharmacists and technicians take extensive measures to ensure all medications are prepared according to strict protocols for our patient's well-being.
Our Patients Come First
At Bayview Pharmacy, we recognize that each individual's health journey is exclusive. That's why our team offers a broad selection of services to help you achieve enhanced wellness and happiness. We specialize in sterile compounding for humans and pets, customizing solutions according to your needs. Our knowledgeable compounding pharmacists are devoted to working with you to uncover the optimum medication choices available!
More than just a regular pharmacy, our dedicated pharmacists are here for you and your family - whether filling up a prescription or having an in-depth discussion on the best options available. Our mission is simple: We want to be your comprehensive healthcare partner every step of the way.
How We're Different
Bayview Pharmacy is a trailblazer in the compounding pharmacy world. We go beyond expectations to guarantee our patient's success with their treatment plans. We recognize that each individual's needs are different, and we pride ourselves on delivering tailored, personalized services to meet those demands.
At our independently-owned compounding pharmacy, we are passionate about providing personalized service and getting to know our patients on a personal level. We currently serve individuals in multiple states across New England and will expand into other areas soon. Compared with large chain pharmacies, we value building relationships over simply knowing their prescription numbers.
We are dedicated to providing the best possible service and medication for our patients, which is why we are expanding our reach and bringing our expertise to more communities across the country.